Maine Granite Industry Historical Society
Sullivan Quarries
Tauton River crossing from Hancock showing the quarry wharf and derrick at Sullivan
Granite quarrying at Sullivan began in 1834 when William Mosley quarried large dimension stone for the jail house at St. Andrews, New Brunswick Canada
In 1836, Paul Simpson, Nelson Abbott, and Smith Warren, quarried stone for the block of buildings in Ellesworth, Maine.  By 1846, New York companies came to Sullivan, leased property from Hopewell and Hinman Granite Co. for the next large contract for the Dry Dock and engine house at the Navy Yard in Brooklyn, NY, which kept a large crew of men working for four years.  This was followed by a contract for the Navy Yard at Philadelphia, PA.  In 1857. Amos and Ambrose Simpson began quarrying stone for Fort Carroll at Baltimore, MD followed by contracts for
Fort at Clark's Point ~ New Bedford, MA
Quarry Wharf on Taunton   River at the end of Track Road
mainegranitehome004003.jpg
Donate to the Museum Building Fund
mainegranitehome005005.jpg
Home
mainegranitehome002004.jpg
Historic Quarries